photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


12.11.2014

WE EAT | Christmas Butter Cookies

Growing up, my mom was crafty, especially around this time of year.  Christmas seemed to be her favorite.  There was always some kind of unique homemade gift for friends, family, teachers, and coaches (my 3 brothers and I were athletes).  I remember one year we collected pine cones (what seemed like a million to my tweenager mind) and my mom spray painted them gold and made baskets of gold pinecones and various Christmas critters and fruit.  Wreaths were another year.. and then there was the ceramic hand painted and fired light up Christmas Trees. 
b u t
My most favorite thing to do and 'help' with during this time of year was my mom's butter cookies. 
No matter what kick she was on for crafting, she always always always made these.  
Bouncing around the kitchen, stealing finger scoops of cookie dough, watching & waiting patiently for the timer to ding before we got to frost these delicious drop cookies. 
Not before we ate a few, of course. 
I can still remember it like it was yesterday.
So, you know I have to bake these with Parker and Jolie.
I'm not crafty, though.  Meh.  I digress.
Cookies will do well enough.

Christmas Butter Cookies
COOKIES
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
ICING
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons milk
Festive sprinkles
--
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until well combined.  
Add vanilla and almond extract, and then the eggs.   
In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture while beating on low speed until smooth.
Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons and roll into 1-inch balls.  Place them evenly spaced on a non-stick cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown at the edges and puffed.  Cool 3-5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
While the cookies cool, prepare the icing.
Combine softened butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar, adding milk to thin as desired.

Once the cookies have cooled, its time to f r o s t !!
Parker was hiding a sugar cookie in her lap.  She knew I knew it, too.  Like looking in a mirror.
For our first frosting experience, MOM took the liberty to frost the cookies, and I left the sprinkles to them.

Well.  Assuming that ALL sprinkles containers have those little holes for shaking, well we all know how that saying goes?  It just kept pouring out...like a running tap, and I couldn't get words or a reaction out of my mouth to make her stop.  Parker looked on with such confusion.  
Parker's turn - and this time, I DID make sure the sprinkles were actually going to be sprinkled, and not poured.


Jolie's take two
A quick dump of the green glitter dust, and we were good to go with the red and white.

By the looks of Parker's face, we are about to put this second cookie inline with the first.

and of course, we eat.  And make a serious mess.
But, who cares.

I absolutely loved making cookies with our sweet girls.  Jordan has talked about watching these girls getting to bake in the kitchen with their foodie mama, and here we are.  
My mama dreams are coming true. 

lace Christmas crowns / sweet t shoppe
jammies / gap
--
Totally swooning over these lace Christmas crowns?? 
Tessa of Sweet T Shoppe is the crafty hand behind them, and is offering up a $50 shop credit - just in time for Christmas!
Head over to Instagram (@masseya) for your chance to enter to win.
Now thats a sweet deal:) 

Photobucket

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Amber, I'm not seeing the opportunity to enter the giveaway on your instagram feed - am I missing it? Would love to enter for my little elf!! :)

Emily said...

My favorite childhood Christmas memories are also about sugar cookies! I hadn't thought to involve my son yet this year (he does not sit still as well as your girls), maybe I will give it shot. Your pics are so cute.

Jenn said...

I don't think these little ladies could be any sweeter if they tried. Thanks for sharing your recipe, and of course pics of the girls.

Unknown said...

the last picture...ah! SO stinkin' cute. Will definitely try this recipe :)

Unknown said...

I am loving their adorable crowns! But even more so, I am loving this amazing tradition that you're passing down to these girls! So much fun! Thank you for sharing!

Annie
6-12 MONTHS BABY GIFT GUIDE on The MAMA Gazette

Pin It button on image hover