photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


8.15.2017

We Eat {this week} | 8/13/17

meal planning.  
something I used to be SO good at.  I used to meal plan every single week.
I also used to make a hot meal every night and attempted to continue that trend when the twins were born.. and sort of fizzled out after Baker arrived.  pregnancy keeps me tired and not hungry at all, so prepping, planning, and cooking dinner falls off my to-do list and its taken me a hot minute for me to be able to get back into the swing of things! I also would love to be more intentional in planning ahead meals for the big girls for both lunch and dinner instead of leaving it to the microwave or toaster oven to do the prep for me.

SO here I am attempting to get back into the swing of being in the kitchen.  
meal planning looks a lot like me skimming my Pinterest boards, which mainly consists of food.
I used to write my own recipes.  and then I had kids and quick and easy became my favorite two words when it came to describing my cooking.
nothing wrong with that, you guys!
BREAKFAST
breakfast everyday looks very similar for me as it does my kids.  I eat peanut butter and banana toast or oatmeal and they will do the same!  we mix it in with some toaster waffles (we love Van's or Kashi brand) or if we are rushing out the door, granola bar and skim milk with carnation instant breakfast is where its at.

TODDLER LUNCH
::monday::
pasta salad + carrots + ranch dressing for dipping
pasta salad
cooked whole wheat ziti mixed with fresh zucchini, tomatoes, sweet peppers, turkey pepperoni (I like Boar's Head), and mixed with Italian dressing.

::tuesday::
no bake energy balls // low fat yogurt
easy recipe for energy balls HERE
I usually offer the girls 2-3 for lunch. as for me, I eat 2-3 as a snack.

::wednesday::
deli turkey + cheese roll ups // wheat thin crackers // grapes + watermelon 

::thursday::
white meat chicken nuggets (Tyson brand) // macaroni + cheese (Annie's brand)

::friday::
scrambled eggs + mozzarella cheese // peanut butter on toast // strawberries + melon

FAMILY DINNER
::monday:: 
crock pot cilantro lime chicken tacos // Mexican creamed corn 
cilantro lime chicken tacos
2 pounds chicken breast mixed with ranch dressing seasoning packet, cilantro lime skillet sauce packets (I LOVE these skillet sauces- I buy them at Target and Kroger) or you can use a jar of green salsa.  cook on LOW for 6 hours
corn tortillas
guacamole + sour cream + pico + fresh cilantro
Mexican creamed corn 
6 corn on the cobs roasted in the oven for 45 minutes, husks on. remove from the oven and allow to cool enough to be able to cut the kernels off the cob. throw in a preheated skillet pan and stir in 3-4 chopped fresh jalapeños, 1/2 block low fat cream cheese and fresh jalapeños.  season with smoked paprika and taco seasoning to taste.

::tuesday::
left overs from Monday:)

::wednesday::
grilled guacamole and gouda burgers // sweet potato fries
burgers
1lb (93/7) lean ground beef + minced garlic + salt + pepper to taste, formed into patties. grill or cook in a skillet pan- about 4 minutes on each side.
top with left over guacamole from Monday and melty gouda cheese
sweet potato fries from the frozen food section:)

::thursday::
crispy black bean quesadillas // roasted squash
black bean quesadillas
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained.
corn tortillas 
Mexican cheese blend
veggie oil
heat 1 tsp oil in skillet and add one corn tortilla. add beans and cheese to one side of the tortilla and fold over with a spatula. cook 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping in between until golden and crispy.
roasted squash
chop zucchini and yellow squash into medium thick sticks. drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. roast at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
::friday::
breakfast burrito bowls with spiced butternut squash + quinoa 
bowl recipe HERE

::NOTE::
the lunch ideas above are definitely geared towards feeding your kids but can also be prepared for yourself! my breakfast and lunch look very similar from day to day and you can find my daily food plan HERE

5 comments:

Kelly Smith said...

YEAH GIRL! I love your meal planning posts so this is an awesome surprise today. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

{annie_loo} @ The Farrar Four said...

Love this post!! Thank you!! I know you're nursing so it's good to see what others eat! As for the energy balls--- how many do you eat for lunch??? I LOVE them but have them for a snack.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, that toast looks amazing! I haven't had breakfast this morning lol! Maybe this has been answered on your blog before, but I'll ask anyway. :) As a dietician, what are your thoughts on the Paleo way of eating? - Linda (www.itsmrsjordan.com)

Amber Massey said...

Hey Linda! I don't actually think I've ever addressed the Paleo diet before, but the short answer would be that any diet that restricts an entire food group (or in this case multiple) shoots up red flags for me. True Paleo means "No grains, no dairy, no legumes (beans or peas), no sugar, and no salt" which can not only be really hard to maintain but a typical plan also exceeds the Dietary Guidelines for daily fat and protein intake.. and definitely falls short on carbohydrate recommendations. Cutting out whole grains, legumes and dairy all together can be risky as well because these nutrient rich foods are major sources of calcium and vitamin D! If you do follow this diet I would strongly recommend supplementing with vitamins to make up for what you aren't getting from whole foods. Eating this way can be super healthy but the real problem is more about portion control and overconsumption than anything else.

Unknown said...

LOVE this!! I'm hoping Instapot will send you a pot so you can post a blog on it and some recipes. I'm thiiiiis close to pulling the trigger on buying one but I'd love some feedback on it and some easy recipes!

Pin It button on image hover