photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


11.08.2008

Days of Taste 2008




Each year the Dallas Farmers Market and the American Institute of Wine and Food host a 2 week event called Days of Taste. This program is supported by the AIWF and is a national initiative to educate elementary school children about the origins of their food, taking them from farm to table and introducing concepts of healthy eating. My job, Baylor Medical Center, decided to volunteer for a day during this two week event. My fellow Foodies and I hosted about 60 young children, teaching them value of good nutrition and also teaching them that healthy food can be yummy food!! We each had a team of about 5 kids and we ventured down to the Farmer's Market with $5 and spent it on a variety of fruits and veggies. We brought our purchases back to the kitchen where we showed them how to clean and prep, and then we placed it into one big bowl, making a homemade pasta salad. Some of the groups had some yumm-o salads..my group..well, lets just say it was interesting ;)

The Baylor Foodies!!


Their first experience with growing yeast. We exposed them to new things using their 5 senses. None of my boys new what Rosemary was..it was fun teaching them!

The AMAZING fruits and veggies at the Market. It was my very first time going, and it wont be my last!


He was a cutie! He ate raw ginger..I about died with the giggles!!




Me and Emily with our group, waiting to wash our hands



Learing the secret to seeding a pomegranate.
Shelley and I
TEAM EGGPLANT!! With our salad; Ingredients: Bowtie Pasta, Fresh Green Beans, Pomegranate, Blueberries, Zuccini, Squash, Red Delicious Apple, Spinach, Fresh Broccoli, and a homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. Can we say indigestion? They we so proud!!
I had a great time with these kids for a day, and I am so looking forward to next year!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover