photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


9.18.2014

WE EAT | {Leftovers} BBQ Sirloin Meatloaf Sliders

love making meatloaf, AND enjoying the leftovers- probably even better the next day.  If you are like me- you grew up on a classic style meatloaf.  The tomato based sauce (Ahem..ketchup) always brings me back to the days of my childhood cooking. 
I have adored the comfort of meatloaf and all things that go with it (mashed potatoesmacaroni, broccoli, green beans...) 
On this night we had BBQ Meatloaf, Homemade Mac & Cheese, and Steamed Broccoli
As an American staple, meatloaf is one of the most versatile dishes you can make, in my opinion. Ground beef is the typical go-to, but there is also turkey, veal, deer, chicken..really any ground meat will do. You can go for the classic ‘beef and a bottle of Heinz’ as I mentioned before of my younger days, or add tons of veggies with marinara, OR how about a cheesy meatloaf? Really, how can you go wrong? 
My personal favorite..Texas Style

BBQ Sirloin Meatloaf 
1 pound lean (96%) ground sirloin (beef)
one medium chopped onion
2 eggs
1 (8oz) can low sodium tomato sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 sleeves crushed saltine crackers**
BBQ Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11X7 glass dish with cooking spray. In a medium bowl mix together all ingredients, one at a time, until incorporated. Pour mixture into the prepared glass dish and form into a loaf. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Pull meatloaf out and pour BBQ sauce over top. Return loaf to the oven and heat through until sauce is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes before cutting to serve.
To make BBQ sauce: In a small bowl combine all ingredients, stirring quickly until brown sugar is dissolved.

**Regular bread crumbs can be used, and I have also used high fiber cereal (that I ground in my food processor) instead of saltines crackers.

When I"ve made this in the past, the Fireman and I fight over the left overs.. which in turn means that I often double the recipe (which makes a HUGE pan), and we eat on it all week.  With the little birds in the mix for meal times these days, food doesn't stretch as far, but we still often have leftovers of most meals.
My favorite way to use up left over meatloaf?  Two words.. Patty Melt.
In this case, I snagged a package of Hawaiian Rolls earlier in the week for football watching Sunday, so we made mini slider melts.  

BBQ Meatloaf Sliders, sliced cucumbers (with light ranch dressing), and brown rice 

 Potty break.
Parker will now drop her panties and take off to the potty when she needs to go.. and will do all this solo.  Which is incredibly convenient when it is in the middle of dinner. 
 Jo wasn't super sure about this slider business.
 It was more appealing disassembled over actually eating it like a sandwich.. so I got her a fork.

 Parker didn't mind it.  Until half of the sliced loaf fell into her lap.. 
 Its all good.  Tastes just as well. 

Whats your favorite way to make meatloaf???


Photobucket

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooohh myyyy gooooshhhh! This looks so good.
Meatloaf sandwiches are my life.

Jenn said...

I am totally making this. YUM!!!

Unknown said...

What kind of booster seats are those/where did you get them? This is what I have been looking for- my daughter is 20 months.

Unknown said...

What kind of booster seats are those/where did you get them? This is what I have been looking for- my daughter is 20 months.

Pin It button on image hover