photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


4.10.2014

WE EAT | Mexican Chicken Tamale Casserole

I've talked about our love for casserole night.  This is my go-to.  Any time I volunteer to provide food for anyone, this is what I will make.  So, if ever you have a baby..or move in next door to me, you'll be getting a pan of this deliciousness.   

Mexican Chicken Tamale Casserole.. see also- everything but the kitchen sink

You feel me?
 Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (see how I make my chicken HERE)  
2 (10.5oz) cans 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
2 cups 0% plain Greek yogurt (I like the FAGE or Stoneyfield Farms)
1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 (10oz) cans RoTel, drained
1 (10oz) cans RoTel, UNdrained
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed & drained 
1 (15oz) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 (11oz) can Mexicorn, drained
18 corn tortillas 
3 cups shredded cheese (I use a combo of cheddar and monterey jack)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Combine cream of chicken soup, Greek yogurt, and seasoning packets. Stir in chicken and remaining ingredients, except the tortillas and cheese. 
Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish cooking spray. 
Layer 6 tortillas in the bottom of the dish. Pour half of the chicken mixture over top. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers, starting with tortillas, then remaining chicken mixture and 1/3 of cheese. Top with remaining tortillas and sprinkle with last 1/3 of cheese. 
Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted. 

Optional: Top finished casserole with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, avocado, and sliced olives. 
 I will most often make this a day or two ahead of time for a quick pop in the oven on the day we plan to eat it.  Just layer your casserole and cover tightly with foil.  It makes a ton, so I've also portioned it out into smaller pans and froze what we don't cook that week.
 The little birds dig this meal.

I'm still trying to figure out this Jolie girl and her use of utensils.  She hates them.  Or so I think.  She will whine (like really whine) about not being able to scoop the food, and when I help her she won't eat, she wants me to feed her.

Miss Independent for everything.. except this.
I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to saying no to help..Daddy, well, not so much.
 But, she's getting it.
This one, we've decided, is left handed.  Jolie still goes back and forth with using both hands, but favors her right, while Parker will only use her left.  Her BB is left handed, so we are leaving that trait up to her doing.
 Finger lickin' good, folks!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Lauryn said...

Adorable! Any trick to getting them to keep the bowl on the tray? Always seems to get thrown on the floor around these parts!

Nicole said...

Thanks for posting! This recipe was delicious :)

Nicole said...

This was delicious! Thanks for posting! :)

Marie Elise said...

I am going to cook this for my family tomorrow and I can't wait to try it! Looks and sounds really yummy!

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I'd use full-fat soup and yogurt though.

I know adults like to go low-fat but babies and young kids really need lots of healthy fats for brain development. (So glad dairy and even meat has been taken off the fat-from-these-is-bad-for-you list!)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I made this last night, and it was absolutely delicious! We can't wait to devour the leftovers.

Also, try Pacific Organic cream of chicken soup. It doesn't have the additives and preservatives of a certain brand I shall not name :).

Pin It button on image hover