photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


10.23.2014

WE EAT | {Crock Pot} BBQ Chicken & Cheddar Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

One of my first ever ever ever recipes to be published was one similar to this (HERE).. except the pregnant belly I was toting didn't allow for energy to make a trip to the store to pick up the remaining ingredients I lacked.   

I was 82 weeks pregnant with Parker and Jolie, in a state of disgust over poultry, and as an attempt to 'mix it up' and avoid cereal for dinner for the 11th time that week (because I did, in fact, eat 2-3 dinners a night..) AND of course, for the hubby's sake, I threw the three most simple ingredients I had on hand in the crock pot and figured they would taste semi-delicious.

I figured correct.  To be honest, I didn't miss the other ingredients my original recipe called for- the tang of the tender slow cooked chicken, paired with the sweetness of baked sweet potatoes and cheddar cheese was JUST as delicious and has become my go-to prep for BBQ Chicken ANYthing.   

BBQ Chicken Cheddar Stuffed Sweet Potatoes 
Serves 4
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 large breasts)
1 (16oz) bottle Zesty Italian salad dressing (I use Kraft)
1-2 cups BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
4 medium sweet potatoes, skins scrubbed clean 
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 

Arrange the chicken breasts in the bottom of your crock pot.  Pour the Italian dressing and the BBQ evenly over top.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.  
During the last hour of cooking the chicken, pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Rub the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and prick them with the tines of a fork. Place them on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet and cook the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes - until their skin is crispy and sticking one with a fork meets no resistance. (You can also wrap them in foil, but this 'steams' the potatoes and doesn't release the sweetness of the sweet potatoes as well as if they are baked without.   This method offers up deliciously crispy potato skins!  Totally your preference.)
Remove the chicken from the crock pot, and shred or chop.  With a sieve or fine mesh strainer (like this one), strain the cooking liquid into a large measuring cup or bowl.  Place the sauce and the chicken back into the warming crock pot until ready to serve. 
To serve: slice the baked sweet potatoes lengthwise, and gently push the side inward to 'plump' up the insides of the cooked potato.  Place 1/4 of the shredded BBQ chicken into the potato and immediately top with shredded cheddar (the heat of the chicken and potato will melt the cheese pretty quick). Drizzle with the strained BBQ sauce and serve immediately!  

I served these with Grainy Mustard Brussels Sprouts - my all time favorite way to cook Sprouts!    
These little fingers were pleased with dinner - and couldn't help herself to wait 3 more minutes to be served. All up in my frame while trying to capture this yummy meal. What you don't see is the mustard-y palms Miss Parker had from swiping a Brussels Sprout or two before I could get in a shot.  
For serving the little birds, I pulled the skins off the smallest potato and cubed it before sprinkling with cheese, and served the chicken on the side.  I figured that the stuffed potato would turn into a game really quickly at the dinner table, and I wanted them to eat.  Not play. 
We have been working on prayer before our meals, and hold hands together while we pray over dinner.  I cannot help myself but to glance up at these two while we are praying- their sweet sweet smiles and giggles are beyond precious.
'Thank you God for good food..'

Its amazing to me, looking back, on how far we've come with eating and using utensils.  
..but, often our hands are still the easiest.

Parker, use your fork.  Parker, don't touch your sister.  Parker, quit feeding the dog.  
EAT, PARKER.
everything is a game.  
everything.

chess, peease.  mo' chess? 
(cheese, please.  more cheese?)
So.. can anyone take a shot at guessing where she has learned to use her fork for combing rather than eating?
Every meal she does this, and every meal I am picking food out of her hair.


Once again, a crock pot winner in this house.  I love using my crock pot for this time of year - I'm not even sure what I would do without it.
It is by far my favorite kitchen tool EVER.
Three years ago, Jordan bought me this bright and shiny crock pot (HERE) and it is still like new.  Plus you can brown meat in it, so when you are able to remove a step in the 'clean-up' process, I am sold with no questions asked!

Whip up this meal over the weekend - you won't be disappointed AND you probably already have all the ingredients on hand.  
You are already winning.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Sarah Tucker said...

YUM! Making this asap!

Jenn said...

It's not a fork, it's a dinglehopper! She's just combing her hair ala Ariel! And, I will definitely be making this! Thanks, mama!

RandyandKimberlyWhite said...

Ummmm 82 weeks that's a long pregnancy :)

Dana said...

Definitely making this!!

Unknown said...

I made this yesterday and it was so delicious! My hubby and little one a loved it!!

Solis plus one said...

I've been following you and your cute girls on instagram for awhile now but this is the first recipe I have tried and girl, it was so so good! My husband was also impressed! Never had sweet potatoes with skin on and or think of combining shredded chicken with them so thank you! Going into our rotation now!

Sarah said...

I have been reading your blog since you were pregnant with the twins and love keeping up with your family. I made this tonight for my 3 1/2 and 20 month old boys and they loved it (so did the hubby)! This is my new favorite recipe and I will definitely be making this again.

Pin It button on image hover