photo NavTwit_zpsc1rktw78.png photo NavIG_zpsaip8p7oy.png photo NavPin_zpsuu9kgez7.png photo NavBL_zpscv6phppl.png


2.03.2016

WE EAT | mexi-rice (super) taco bowl

there has been lots of talk in the foodie world about one of the greatest food holidays quickly approaching.  
I know you have heard of it.
the.super.bowl. 
I do love football- a lot.  more than my husband, probably..maybe. 
part of me doesn't even care who makes it to the big game.. okay, nearly all of me.  but for real, I just want to know what fun things we are going to eat! 
over the weekend I made this yummy mexican taco bowl and as I was dipping my tortilla chip rather than using a fork I thought to myself- this would be SO EASY to make for a crowd and serve it as a heavy appetizer for the game day festivities.  
MexiRice (Super) Taco Bowl
adapted from: the garlic diaries 
3 cups butternut squash, cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup quick cooking rice or quinoa
1 pound lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (or make your own below)
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 red bel pepper, diced
1 jalapeno (minced- seeds and ribs removed)
1 medium red onion, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed + drained
1 can mexicorn blend, drained
3/4 or 1 cup of taco cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream or greek yogurt
tortilla chips for dipping
--
preheat your oven to 400 degrees. toss together the squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until soft.  Remove from oven and set aside.
For the rice or quinoa- cook according to package directions, using the broth as your liquid.
Meanwhile, add your veggies to the skillet- peppers and onion - and sauté until soft and the onions
are fragrant and golden.  add in the ground turkey with a little olive oil.
When your turkey is almost done, stir in the taco seasoning.  Add in the corn and the beans.
stirring to combine and allow to simmer.
Drain the rice/quinoa to remove excess moisture (as needed).  Combine the rice, cheese (set aside a little for sprinkling on top) and reserved butternut squash with the veggie and meat mixture.

Stir everything together until fully combined. Taste and add any seasoning you think it needs
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the mixture and then top with Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and chopped cilantro.  
 don't be fooled by the long ingredients list or the step by step directions..  I promise that your tummy will be exceptionally delighted.  I often make my own taco seasoning and keep it in an empty mason jar.
--
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
--
SO easy!  but its also easy to buy the little packet next to the taco shells and green chilies:)
utensils are optional.
chips to dip are required.
what are you serving this weekend?? here are a few of my game day favorite recipes!





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would love to make this! Unless I overlooked it, I did not see the cheese listed in the ingredient list. How much and what kind did you use? Thanks!!

Amber Massey said...

thanks, Jackie! I corrected the recipe:) Sorry for the oversight!

Pin It button on image hover